The Marriage Ceremony
Congratulations to the newly engaged! May God send his blessings to you and the family you are about to start. Camp St. Malo strives to prepare you for a your wedding ceremony, so that it might be a beautiful celebration of love and faith. Below, you will find more information on the rehearsal, liturgy, photography/videography, flowers, wedding attire, and further information. Read on for all you need to know to prepare for the big day!
The rehearsal is typically the day prior to the wedding and is booked at the same time as the wedding. The wedding coordinator will work with the couple to schedule the specific time. One hour is reserved for the rehearsal, so please come prepared, as other rehearsals or events may precede or follow your rehearsal. The Chapel Wedding Coordinator will handle and direct the rehearsal.
Outside wedding coordinators cannot come and run the rehearsal at the Chapel.
Prior to the rehearsal, the couple should decide upon the type of procession for the wedding as detailed in the Together for Life booklet, and as follows:
- Both bride and groom accompanied by parents, preceded by groomsmen, bridesmaids and presiding clergy;
- Bride accompanied by father and groom accompanied by parents preceded by groomsmen, bridesmaids and presiding clergy;
- Or another variation of the procession that you should discuss with the celebrant, for his approval prior to the rehearsal.
Additionally, the State of Colorado requires a Marriage License, which is valid only for thirty days. The wedding cannot be performed without a Colorado wedding license. The license must be given to the Chapel Wedding Coordinator at the rehearsal.
Readings and Music
Readings: Please prayerfully pick out the readings for your ceremony. Together for Life by Joseph M. Champlin is a beautiful resource available to assist in making selections.
Music: All parts of the liturgy are expected to conform to the Church’s standards for noble, sacred and appropriate expressions of prayer and celebration. As such, although tastes may vary for those approaching the sacrament of Marriage, the final decision on what is appropriate and fitting for liturgical celebration in this sacred setting must be approved. Please provide all music for approval to the Chapel Wedding Coordinator at your earliest convenience.
**Please note, the Chapel does not have a sound system.
**The scheduling fee for CSM does not include the services of a musician. Their fees will are separate from the wedding scheduling fee and should be paid directly to the individuals who will be singing and/or playing at the wedding.
The photographer, whether a professional or a family friend, must consult with the Chapel Wedding Coordinator before the ceremony to discuss permissible positioning during the ceremony. Posed group shots may be taken after the wedding ceremony. You will have 30 minutes after the ceremony for these posed group photos. To ensure that these go smoothly, please inform those in the photos not leave the chapel until all the pictures have been taken.
Online Streaming: St. Catherine’s Chapel provides a strong Wifi signal for wedding streaming to online participants. Please provide any equipment necessary for this endeavor.
Flowers and Decorations
The Chapel and sanctuary are small, so these spaces can quickly look busy. Please be aware of the following when planning your decorations:
- The Chapel does not own or provide stands.
- Any rearrangement of furniture/liturgical decorations must be approved by the Chapel Wedding Coordinator.
- Any candles intended for use, other than what is already in the chapel, must have shields to prevent open flame, dripping wax, or injury. No candles are to be set along the aisle.
- Decorations attached to the pews must be easily removable. Tape, staples, and tacks may not be used.
- No rice, birdseed, confetti, or balloons are permitted inside the Chapel. Natural or silk petals are permitted inside (no red petals are allowed).
- Aisle runners are not allowed, as they pose a tripping hazard.
- All decorations must be removed after the ceremony.
- A unity candle is not permissible.
- If items have been forgotten, please have someone call the office on the Tuesday after the wedding to arrange for pickup.
Please keep in mind the solemnity and dignity of your wedding ceremony when choosing your attire.
Even though current fashions can be very revealing, there are many choices that can be made for the bridal gown and bridesmaids’ dresses. If the top is very bare, you should consider wearing a small jacket or a shawl (quite often an option for the bridesmaids’ dresses).
If you have any questions regarding these guidelines, please feel free to contact us at 970.586.5689 or by email at email@example.com.
Additional Information and Prohibitions - Please Read
- All other fees (musicians etc.) and donations (to priests or deacons) are the responsibility of the couple getting married, the scheduling fee does not cover anything other than the use of the facility.
- To reserve a wedding date the scheduling fee and acceptance of these terms and conditions (provided once you have made a formal inquiry) is to be sent to the Chapel Wedding Coordinator.
- The Chapel Wedding Coordinator has final say on all things involving the wedding liturgy. Please ensure these matters are discussed beforehand – most everything presented day-of or last minute will not be used. Thank you for your assistance in making the day run smoothly!
- We are not responsible for weather, traffic, elk/big-horn sheep traffic jams, or other local events which present issues for the wedding parties. Please leave yourself plenty of time to travel, allowing for all traffic and weather conditions.
- Please note, Camp St. Malo sits at 8500 feet above sea level. For out of town guests and those not accustomed to being at elevation, you may experience headaches, breathlessness, and more. Regular hydration will assist in adjusting to being at elevation.
- Camp St. Malo and the surrounding area does NOT have cell phone coverage. Please be aware of this fact when planning and coordinating things, particularly on the big day!
- Please note: St. Catherine’s Chapel is not ADA accessible. Because it is a historical building, there is not easy handicap accessibility. The chapel can only be accessed by climbing 25 external steps to enter. St. William’s Lodge does have handicap accessibility as well as ADA restrooms.
- The parking lot must be cleared after photos – as we might have another event afterwards.
- Alcohol, Drugs, and any weapons are not allowed in the chapel or on the grounds of Camp St. Malo. If an engaged couple comes to the wedding ceremony under the influence of drugs or alcohol, the wedding may be called off with the full forfeiture of the scheduling fee.
- Dogs are not allowed inside St. Catherine’s Chapel, unless service dogs with express permission from the Chapel Wedding Coordinator.